Disclaimer: The main reason for writing this post is to serve as a discreet reminder to my wife that my birthday is looming and that Choccy Chia Brownies would perhaps be a lovely surprise.Jump to Recipe
Let’s tell it like it is. Junk food is junk food. It doesn’t matter if it is hand reared, organic, biodynamic, or pressed between the thighs of an enlightened mountain hermit. Yes these things may well be of benefit ethically, environmentally, and may even be better health-wise than the toxic alternatives, but if food is not serving a positive nutritional role then it’s junk food.
But, come on, who wants to live a life of puritanical eating all the time? Yes, real, whole food doesn’t have to be boring or bland, quite the opposite. But sometimes you have to be a bit naughty. Yeah, I’m talking to you, you saucy beggar. Don’t worry we’ve got your back.
The recipe that follows is a fantastically, rich and sumptuous take on the classic chocolate brownie. But this bad boy is sugar free (well, almost, depending on which chocolate you use), gluten free, grain free, low carb, and keto friendly. One thing it definitely isn’t free from is flavour. Coming in at around 170 kcal per brownie, and around 4-8g of carbs, depending on which sweetener you used, it works well for those following a low carb approach to eating.
Can you eat too much of this? I am living proof you can. Opening the lid of the cake tin for me is like opening the flood gates of an industrial sized hydro-electric plant. There is no stopping this flood. It’s become so bad that Kelley freezes half the batch in an effort to stop me consuming them all in one hit. I will admit to you now, I have eaten them frozen. We also only make them on occasion and Kelley, until now, has secretly hidden all traces of the recipe.
If you are like me, and a chocolate brownie is the gateway drug to over indulgent oblivion, then be warned. Just because these brownies may be ‘better for you’ than a conventional one, it’s still not carte blanche to consume them and nothing else. Remember, junk food is junk food, however fancily we dress it up.
But for all you people with annoying restraint. Have at it.
Here we go…
Choccy Chia Brownies
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp ground chia seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 large free range / organic eggs
- 165 grams unsalted butter
- ½ cup Erythritol or Xylitol sweetener (or your preferred sugar substitute)
- 55 grams dark chocolate (85%)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Heat the oven to 160°C/325°F (fan assisted)
- Grease an 8 inch baking/brownie tray with a little butter.
- Gently melt the butter and choc together in a large pyrex bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat when nearly melted and add the sweetener stirring well.
- Add the cocoa, coconut flour, chia seeds and salt and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla extract together until frothy and light.
- Gradually add the egg mixture to the chocolate mix and fold until blended.
- Ensure mix is fully combined.
- Pour into the baking tray.
- Bake on the middle oven shelf for 20-30 minutes (CHECK AFTER 20 MINS). Don't be alarmed if it looks a bit 'bumpy' at this stage, it will settle.
- Leave to cool in the tray before carefully turning out on to a cooling rack.
- Cut into delightful bite-size pieces or just eat it whole. On special occasions, I might have one with double cream and fresh raspberries.
- Share if you have no other option. Kelley will usually double the recipe and freeze half which works well and stops me from eating them all in a scarily short space of time.
I am going to stop now as my dribbling is adversely affecting my ability to type. Enjoy the chocolate rush.